Drupal 8’s got a brand new shiny coat - built on solid principles, implementing current industry best practices, and flexible to boot - You’re going to love Twig. This session will prepare you with the skills to hit the ground running as a Drupal 8 themer. Drupal’s markup has been converted to Twig, cleaned up, and simplified by many of the community’s passionate contributors. What does all this mean for you, especially now that things have changed?
In this session we’ll take an in-depth look at what specific changes Twig brings to Drupal 8 and how they compare to existing methods in Drupal 7. This session is intended for both themers and developers; the latter gaining knowledge on how to adapt their existing code for Drupal 8. An understanding of PHP will be beneficial to everyone as there will be plenty of example code.
Session topics include:
- A high-level overview of the changes to the theme system in Drupal 8
- How theme functions have been deprecated in favor of markup templates
- Some of the “goodies” that are possible now that we’re using Twig as our templating engine
- Using theme hook suggestions to cut down on custom code
- Phases of the theme system and where you can step in to alter things
- recommend best practices around template logic
- determining what is themeable output
- how to leverage theme suggestions and reusable theme components
- overriding and extending templates